Focus: Leamington United Mennonite Church, Leamington, ON
Leamington United Mennonite Church (LUMC) is one of three MCEC congregations in the Leamington area.
Zach Charbonneau began his pastoral role with LUMC in September 2018. Over half of his time is focused on youth and the other portion on missional engagement. Zach also has the opportunity to be a presence at United Mennonite Educational Institute, where a number of LUMC’s youth attend.
- At LUMC youth meet every Friday night in a drop-in style environment and enjoy making food, playing games and connecting with each other.
- Junior youth meet once or twice a month with parents taking turns to support this ministry.
- Zach focuses on building community within the youth and junior youth so that conversations of faith and beliefs can go deeper through a retreat at Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and by beginning a small group Bible study.
- Challenges include youth dividing their time and energy between church, school and all their other activities, and finding adults to support and give leadership to activity stations on Friday nights.
- In the high school setting Zach uses Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne for weekly morning prayers.
Zach invites prayer for the youth to grow in their faith, engage the Bible and be comfortable articulating their relationship with God. As well, that God would open doors as LUMC explores ways to reach out to their neighbourhood and be present to teens and families for whom church is not a familiar place.