Focus: Niagara United Mennonite Church
Niagara United Mennonite Church is the distinctive red brick church you see as you make your way along Niagara Stone road toward Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Chris Hutton is new to his role as Pastor of Youth & Young Adult Ministries at NUMC and brings with him many years of experience in ministry with youth within the church and with community organizations. Fun relationship building, exploring ways to grow the spiritual life of youth and encouraging service to others, guides his ministry with youth.
- Youth meet every Friday where they share the highs and lows of their week, participate in a devotional reflection and engage in fun activities.
- The youth ministry is supported by a team of sponsors.
- Youth are encouraged to invite friends to events to nurture an atmosphere of welcome and peer relationships.
- Chris works at helping the youth reclaim the Bible to inform the service they do in the community.
- Life is messy and the youth are encouraged to see where God is at work and join what God is doing.
- The church as a whole is exploring ways to connect with the community and look at the needs around them.
- The church enjoys being together which encourages the youth to join in with many of the intergenerational activities.
- The youth have recently done a “Couch Trip” where they take a couch with them to different locations and document everyone on the couch with photos.
- They participate in an annual BBQ and capture the flag with other MCEC youth in the Niagara area.
- The youth have reflected on God’s leading in their lives by drawing life maps and marking their life experiences on them.
- Chris, in his work with young adults has observed that this stage of life is extending later that before and focuses building new relationships with young adults through small groups and working with leaders in their respective areas.
As Chris transitions into his new role, he invites prayer as he works to get to know the youth and build relationships with them. His hope is that youth experience the church as a safe space to explore a relationship with God, to bring friends to, and a place to belong.