The Denomination in a #ChurchToo World
Friday, January 18, 2018
Community Room, 50 Kent Avenue, Kitchener
Cost: $95 for first registration, $85 for additional registrations, includes lunch and refreshments
9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Join other ecumenical leaders for a day of training that will better equip denominational staff to lead in a #ChurchToo world. FaithTrust Institute Trainers will lead us through a day of training and reflection on topics such as the following:
Building a Strategy of Prevention
- Healthy boundaries training for clergy
- Safe church policies
- Creating a safe church environment
A Framework for Understanding Misconduct
- How church structures facilitate or impede management of misconduct
- What is the culture change that needs to happen?
- What are the roles of the judicatory?
Investigating with Integrity
- Best practices for investigations
- Moving from complaint to investigation to adjudication
- Denominational staff roles
We Investigated. Now What?
- What is next for the victim, congregation, and perpetrator?
- Best practices when making public statements
- Role of communications in inviting additional victims to come forward
Rev. Dr. Marie M. Fortune is minister in the United Church of Christ and a graduate of Yale Divinity School. She is a pastor, educator, and author as well as a practicing ethicist and theologian. Her books include Keeping the Faith: Guidance for Christian Women Facing Abuse and Sexual Violence: The Sin Revisited. In 1977 she founded FaithTrust Institute, a multifaith, multicultural training and education organization with global reach working to end sexual and domestic violence.
Emily Cohen lives in Nashville, TN, and serves as the Director of Residential Services at the YWCA’s Weaver Domestic Violence Center, the largest domestic violence shelter in the state of Tennessee. For 7 years, she served as a Program Manager at FaithTrust Institute, developing trainings and curriculum for a diverse range of faith traditions and denominations. Cohen is rooted in Buddhist practice and teachings and brings an interfaith approach to addressing boundaries in communities of faith.
Kitchener, ON N2G 3R1
|First Registration Fee||$ 95.00|
|Additional Registrations Fee||$ 85.00|